Tuesday, January 31, 2012


Note:  the "mustache" on Sis. Medvescek's face is a smudge from the postal machine.  This was a postcard Leah made.

December 2011:


This Christmas was really great. We moved our mattresses onto the floor in the room with our little Christmas tree on Christmas Eve and enjoyed the night there. I woke up before 6 and treated Sis. Medvescek to her first ever abrupt Christmas morning wake up call with me bouncing on her bed and singing in Welsh. We then opened presents that our members and investigators have given us. I've never been so spoiled in all my life! I really have been so touched with the things people have gotten or made for us. It really is quite sweet. We got ready for Church, did some studying, and then headed out. We then get to the car and are surprised to find that we had yet another gift, in fact a flat tire. Sis. Med has no idea what to do so we get down on our knees in our Sunday best and I teach her how to change the tire. We arrived at Church halfway through the service, a bit wet and dirty, but we had fun! We spent the rest of the day visiting and singing in a rest home, playing at the Bishop's house, and visiting with Debbie and Chrissy. Ah, it was a lovely day.
I want to make sure that you all know that I know that Jesus Christ is real. I know that He was born, that He led a perfect life of love and service, that He has experienced all that we have, that He died for us, and that He lives again. He really is the living Christ. His life is the greatest gift we've been given. He is my rock and my light. Christ himself said, "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." This is exactly what I have seen as I have helped people come unto Christ and get to know their Saviour and His plan for them. It is a very real light that comes into people's lives. I am so grateful for this opportunity to serve. I love this work, and I love my Saviour.

......

No time....we are so stinkin busy!!!! It is crazy good!! We don't even have time to get to the library so we are emailing quick from Debbie's computer after a visit with her.
I am still in Newcastle Emlyn and I am training Sister Medvescek from Slovania!!! Talk about the best of times!! We get on like a house on fire from the second we got together. We are soooooo stoked for the transfer!!!!!!


....

Sis. Medvescek is fantastic and is so enthusiastic and great. It has been fun to help teach her English and she just wants to know everything. She is always saying "Tell me everytink! Explain dis to me!!" She is a darling and I am SO blessed to have her here with me.  [She is] from Slovania which is ex-Yugoslavia and has been a country for only 20 years.


November 2011:

Chrissy L.A.: one of the most incredible people I have ever met.
Her baptism and confirmation this last weekend was absolutely beautiful. She is the most prepared person I have ever taught on my mission. She loves this Gospel with all her heart.... She is literally feasting upon God's word and it has been the most beautiful thing to see how she has changed. She's still Chrissy, but new and improved. It is so sweet to hear her boys talk about how she is so much happier and a better mum and on and on about her. She has been all smiles this last week. 


October:

A realisation:
I know God works with each of His missionaries individually. We are each a unique tool in His hands. He uses each of our talents, interests, experiences, and even our weaknesses to further His work. An example: We are talking to people on the streets and Sis. Filichia spots a young girl with a beautiful head of curls and swirls, standing under a brolly to keep it dry. She is approached with a compliment and all sorts of talk about hair. The girl is off to a wedding and Sis. Filichia is all about weddings. The talk continues and we share with her a Book of Mormon. Later we pass a man in a jumpsuit, working in his garage on a beautiful yellow Harley Davidson. I step inside and he shows us his bike and tells us how he got it and his love for riding. The talk continues and soon we share with him too that beloved book. A simple, even silly example, but things like this happen countless times. That is why missionaries are moved around so much. He needs a bit of each of us in different areas at different times. I am definitely drawn to the youth, people who look out of the ordinary, remote homes, country villages... Others are drawn to other things. In this way Father is able to reach out to all His children. "...thus we see that the Lord worketh in many ways to the salvation of his people." (Alma 24:27). Isn't it beautiful the way He works it all out??

September:

We were knocking doors in a beautiful little village in the hills called St. Dogmaels. It was raining on us and almost time to head home for the evening. We decided to walk way up the road to knock one more house. A boy answered and was very interested in The Book of Mormon. As we are talking with him, an older man comes behind him and says "Mormoms! I know all about you guys!" And proceeds to be very friendly. When we asked his name he replied _________. He had no idea, but this was a man we have been trying to find for weeks! He was a referral given to us by a former investigator we contacted, but we could not find his house anywhere (this part of Wales is a nightmare for finding addresses). Anyway, we finally found the man. And get this, that wasn't even his house. He just happened to be there. Pretty cool!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment